Sunday, September 20, 2009

Cirque in a Box

I went to go and see 'Kooza' by Cirque Du Soleil this morning. And it was amazing. I've seen the show at least fifteen times, but this is my first time seeing it live. Although I was disappointed that the 'Wheel of Death' was skipped over and that Natasha was missing from the Contortionist Act, the experience was good and loads of fun. Being in theater and shows, it was hard for me to ignore mistakes, try to figure out how they did things and just sit back and enjoy the show.


I do have to commend Cirque on their craftiness nonetheless, setting a clown act in the audience to distract from the rigging they were doing onstage. Clever! Even with the seemingly crazy clown act, what with the clowns and police running around the audience along with confetti cannon fire, it is very precise and controlled. Controlled chaos if you will. It reminds me back in the older days of Circus, before Cirque du Soleil, when clowns and extra's also helped with the rigging and set changes, not just performing. None of this all automated stuff. Everyone has a vital role in this production. I felt like it really went back to the root of Circus, not just fancy lighting and special effects, but real death-defying, beautiful, amazing acts.


I automatically fell in love with the costumes and the make-up. Especially the make-up. (I might have to do a 'Kooza' cosplay sometime in the future.) The color scheme fitted this show very well, unlike some that didn't quite make sense. Deep, rich colors paired along with the Indian inspired music evoked a feeling of being in a foreign land. Successfully transporting the audience into their world of fantasy.


I was very sad when it was over. When I noticed the show was nearing it's end I felt disappointed it was going to be over so soon. (Although over two hours of heart hammering acts is quite enough for some.) There was a standing ovation, nothing less than they deserved for all of their hard work. Standing ovations are the best; both performers and audience members feel jubilant after a big ending. Smiles all around, that sort of thing.

Lots of fun, and I look forward to seeing another show soon. (Quidam? All Together Now?) Excited to see what Cirque comes up with in the future.

-P.

No comments: